IRS Partnership—Volunteer Income Tax Assistance Program (VITA)
With so many tax benefits available today, taxes can serve as the starting point leading to greater prosperity for many people. In 2000, the IRS changed its approach to meeting individual taxpayers’ needs for tax education, awareness and assistance by establishing an office called SPEC (Stakeholder Partnerships, Education and Communication). In 2008 IRS-SPEC cultivated a partnership with Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity, Incorporated and shared mutual goals in three key areas:
* Promoting tax understanding and awareness
* Preparing tax returns for free for low-to-moderate income people
* Encouraging personal asset building and self-sufficiency through tax incentives
Mission Statement: To assist taxpayers in satisfying their tax responsibilities through collaborative efforts with IRS-SPEC and thus creating and sharing value by informing, educating and communicating with members of the community.
The International Headquarters of Phi Beta Sigma will strive to achieve this mission by:
* Supporting volunteer-based initiatives to address underserved community segments, primarily through awareness campaigns and free tax preparation
* Reaching out to our customers through trained Sigma personnel
* Supporting fully this partnership
* Leveraging our resources to reach rural as well as urban tax payers.