The Amazing Alpha Delta Chapter blog on things from Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Incorporated History, all the way up to present day in Sigma Land.
September 15th, 2012
PROJECT VOTE Chapters are encouraged to continuously register and educate citizens to participate in the democratic process. We will work jointly with Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Inc. to make a positive impact in our communities by registering new voters. The priorities of Project Vote are voter registration, voter education, voter participation and getting out the vote.
Blacks constitute between 10 and 19 percent of all eligible voters. What a powerful force if properly harnessed. In 2004, only 38 percent of eligible Black voters registered. Every Sigma Brother should show proof to his chapter that he is registered to vote. Check friends and family members to ensure their registration as well.
VOTER REGISTRATION EVENTS
1. Check with your local registrar on rules and requirements.
2. Obtain registration materials.
3. Contact shopping centers regarding permission/requirements.
4. Investigate local sources of funding.
5. Involve local politicians or celebrities.
6. Pick a convenient date.
7. Advertise to the public
8. Have a back-up plan for date, Brothers, site, etc.
9. Make it a learning experience
10. Involve Sigma Beta Club members.
11. Coordinate with Zetas.
12. Collaborate with local groups.
13. Make it fun.
1. Contact all candidates: Do not endorse any candidate (remember Sigma is non-partisan).
2. Contact all political parties: Utilize their resources, materials, and expertise.
3. Organize a meet the candidates forum or a discussion of vital issues workshop.
4. Have a breakfast at your Fraternity house or local church. Invite other organizations.
5. Check local funding sources. Local non-partisan organizations.
6. Involve Sigma Beta Clubs: Excellent learning opportunity.
7. Follow-up and follow through. Registration, education and demonstrations are for naught without the vote.
8. Establish a reminder phone bank. Organized car pools. Have knock-on door patrols.
9. Get them to the polls on time!
DOCUMENT THE EXPERIENCE…SUBMIT YOUR ELECTRONIC PIA FORM!
Meaningful and lasting changes can best be brought about through the political process. If men of Sigma are to fulfill our mission of “Service to Humanity” in the political arena, and become positive agents of change, we must:
1. Stay informed (Keep up with current events).
2. Join political organizations.
3. Donate time, money, services.
4. Develop a proposed platform for candidates which deals with pressing community problems and concerns.
5. Run for office.
6. Screen and select candidates for the public.
7. Promote and encourage positive exposure for candidates.
8. Volunteer as campaign workers.
9. Obtain list of committees in Congress, State Legislatures, County Governments, and City Councils.
10. Get names, telephone numbers, fax numbers, email addresses and addresses of Chairpersons.
11. Write, call or visit officials to voice opinions, obtain advice, and get clarification.
12. Lobby and meet with elected and appointed officials to develop meaningful dialogue on and solutions to community concerns.
13. Attend legislative sessions/hearings (a great field trip for the chapter and Sigma Beta Clubs).
14. Hold elected officials accountable. Expose and/or oppose candidates and public officials who have not been true to their platforms or who have not performed adequately.
15. Send letters to the editors of newspapers and periodicals.
16. Share knowledge and information (with local groups, national organizations within Sigma).
© PHI BETA SIGMA FRATERNITY, INC. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Leave a Reply.